Popovers

Our first tries with popovers. We sat there and watched them rise. The wait sure was worth it!
Popovers are my absolute favorite in the whole world. 
I remember as a kid my mother would send me to the store with my doll carriage to get some bread. Now you have to remember (those who are old enough) that back in those days, bread was real bread, not this cotton-candy-type poor-excuse-for-bread that you get in the stores today. We had a bakery in town which supplied our grocery store, and one of my favorite memories is walking home with a loaf of bread in my doll carriage, my nose to the bread all the way home. 
I guess that's why I like popovers so much, they smell so much like REAL bread. I smear some REAL butter on them too, and you could convince me I'd died and went to heaven!


Ingredients should all be at room temperature
3 X-Lg eggs, remove one yolk
1 cup milk, room temperature
1 Tbsp Canola Oil, or any oil you like
1 cup bread flour
If you want to make 12 popovers, double the batch.
***BUT - add one cup of flour and stir well,
      and THEN add the second cup of flour. 
While assembling ingredients have your oven heating to 450
Wisk batter till there are no large lumps
Spray popover pan with Pam spray
Fill popover cups a bit more than 1/2 way
Put into oven, leave at 450 for 25 minutes

Here's where it gets tricky because ovens vary

I check them at 25 minutes and if they're all puffed, I turn the oven off and leave them another 20 minutes. But keep checking them. I've really had to experiment.

When you take them out, spear them with a knife to let the steam out of the inside.

I actually put them back in the oven for a few more minutes after spearing them, to minimize the moisture inside.
More food photos and recipes HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment